b-hebrew - RE: b-hebrew digest: September 02, 2000

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Bill Rea" <cctr114 AT it.canterbury.ac.nz>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: b-hebrew digest: September 02, 2000
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 00:44:35 -0400

Dear Bill,
Of course it's not supported by psychological experimentation,
because as you point out people aren't rational. It is simply
a mathematical equation. It is a model of rational decision-making.
If people *were* to be rational, this is how they would behave.
But even rational people do not change their opinions no matter
how much data they are shown if their original opionions are fixed.
This is part of the mathematics of rational decision-making.
I'm not trying to beat anyone. I'm just saying that there are rational
ways to change one's opinion when confronted with data, but your initial
opinion cannot be so fixed that no amount of data will change it.
Liz