b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 14:56:22 +0100

OK, point taken.

In Jer 28:1 BERE'SHIYT is clearly a construct followed by a noun. No
argument there. But surely you realise that it is quite possible for the
identical form to be parsed in different ways in different texts, especially
where the contexts are quite different, e.g. in English "read", "let" etc
can be present or past tense depending on context.

Peter Kirk