b-hebrew - RE: Dying thou shalt die

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Dying thou shalt die
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 17:43:31 -0500

<Liz >
>>>...You have derived a *gradual* dying, a dying that occurs over 900
years. This is not the function of the infinite absolute. Otherwise you
would have in Gen 20:7 Abimelech dying in a slow process of over 900 years.
See also Gen 26:11,
"whoever touches this man or his wife will die, but only after 900 years."
Exodus 19:12: "anyone who touches this mountain shall be killed, but will
live a good life (but a hard one), will have children, and will only die
after 900 years."
How about Exodus 21: 12? "Anyone who strikes a man and he dies, he shall be
killed, but only after 900 years, having children and grandchildren in the
meantime." Exodus 21:15: "Anyone who strikes his father or his mother shall
be killed, but only after 900 years." Etc.

>>>I need not multiply examples. This form of the verb is used countless
times throughout the HB. It is used to intensify the action of the verb. It
should be expressed in English as "surely", "certainly," "utterly" or some
such.

<Bill>
I should point out that it does not connote anything immediate, because it
is the same form used in "multiplying I will multiply you" which took a
little time.

Bill Ross