b-hebrew - Jeremiah 1:11 & 12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jeremy Sasser" <jeremy AT fish.pair.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Jeremiah 1:11 & 12
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:15:46 -0700

Hello,

I would like to start a new thread, if I may...

I came across these verses, Jeremiah 1:11 & 12, yesterday and the Hebrew aspect is fascinating.  The Hebrew word used for almond is shaked and for watching is shoked.  I understand that those two hebrew words share same root: SH-K-D.  (please forgive me for not using standard characters.)  What I would like to do is to understand the significant of those two words.  Is YHWH playing with words or is YHWH using almond as a visual representation of watching?  Are there any good commentaries on this?

Thanks,

Jeremy

  • Jeremiah 1:11 & 12, Jeremy Sasser, 08/22/2000