b-hebrew - The Servant of Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: The Servant of Yahweh
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 16:26:53 -0500

Dear LMB,

you write:

>When the day comes--it is Yahweh Sabaoth who speaks--I will take you,
>Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel, my servant--it is Yahweh Sabaoth who
>speaks--and make you like a signet right. For I have chosen you--it
>is Yahweh Sabaoth who speaks.

>It seems that the promise to Zerubbabel strongly indicates that he is
>the servant of the Servant Songs in 2nd Isaiah (2 Isa 42:1-9; 49:1-6;
>50:4-9; 52:13-53:12).

God speaks to Zerubbabel in his position as the Davidic heir to the throne.
The one who is in that position at the prophesied day will have the full
support of the Lord. For God has chosen David and His house. The context in
Hag 2:21-22 shows that the day in view is the day that God shakes the
heavens and the earth and overthrow earthly kingdoms. Haggai 2:6 has
already explained that at the time He shakes the heavens and earth, He will
glorify Israel and its temple with the wealth of all nations.

The books of Zechariah and Haggai use Joshua and Zerubbabel as types of the
Messiah. Just as Joshua is a type of the Messiah in Zechariah 3, so
Zerubbabel is a type of the Messianic ruler in Haggai 2:23. The one
represents Christ is His priestly role, the other Christ in His ruling and
Davidic role.

The Servant prophecies of Isaiah are about the Messiah Himself (and Israel).

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

  • The Servant of Yahweh, Harold R. Holmyard III, 08/12/2000