b-hebrew - Deut. 22:28; "they are discovered"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Mark Wilson" <emory2002 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Deut. 22:28; "they are discovered"
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:56:2

If a man comes across a virgin who is not engaged and overpowers and rapes
her and they are discovered,

This is my first post. Sorry for this being in English, but I know
absolutely no Hebrew!

Could someone please give me the significant of this final clause?

What does "discovered" mean in this context?

I get the impression the idea is that this guy must be actually caught in
the act, or close enough where there are "witnesses" to the fact that the
woman did indeed not consent (i.e., she was raped).

Am I close?

Finally, if there were no "witnesses" to an actual rape, what recourse did
the victim have?

Thank you,

Mark Wilson