b-hebrew - RE: "Is Biblical Hebrew a language?"-NPL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "Is Biblical Hebrew a language?"-NPL
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:05:35 +0200

Yes, the wayyixtov forms are there, but I do not remember the consecutive
perfect forms, neither the exchange between the two. Mesha ll. 10-11 is
interesrting: wybn lh nlk ywr'l `t ´trt w`ltchm bqr v`chzh v`hrg `t
cl h´m ... A consective imperfect followed by another consecutive imperfect
although the first action is leading to the second.

You also find traces of the system in the Yavneh Yam (Mesad Hashavyahu)
letter and as far as I remember in the Lachish letters. Siloam l. 5 also is
worth considering.

But I stay with my verdict that you don't have the complicate but very
effective system of the SBH (standard biblical Hebrew).

NPL