b-hebrew - Re: Theme Vowels and Preterites

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Theme Vowels and Preterites
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:26:59 -0500 (CDT)

> Subject: Theme Vowels and Preterites
> From: "Joseph Brian Tucker" <music AT riverviewcog.org>
> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:51:28

> Could someone respond to Rainey's "The Ancient Hebrew Prefix
> Conjugation in the Light of Amarnah Canaanite." _Hebrew Studies_
> 27:1986. He argues that the imperfect uses the nun-form and the
> preterite uses the non-nun form. Are these valid conclusions?

I don't know the Amarna letter evidence directly, but this is
certainly compatible with Classical Arabic, in which verbs have -uuna
endings in the imperfect (e.g. yaqtuluuna), but -uu endings in the
jussive (e.g. yaqtuluu) -- including the notorious lam + "jussive"
construction (mentioned in my last posting) which is actually
historically a preterite.

> Is a Tsere a theme vowel for a preterite?

Not sure exactly what you mean; the Hebrew WAYYIQTOL is not usually
called a "preterite", and early Canaanite is not usually spoken of as
having _s.ere_ vowels. There are WAYYIQTOL forms with _s.ere_ vowels,
such as wayyelekh.

--
Henry Churchyard churchh AT usa.net http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/

  • Re: Theme Vowels and Preterites, Henry Churchyard, 07/17/2000