b-hebrew - Re: different morphology-Rolf

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: yochanan bitan-buth <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: different morphology-Rolf
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 01:12:36 -0400

rolf katav: >I therefore assume that a difference in morphology means a
>difference in meaning,

No- on the contrary,
rolf deletes the vavhahippux morphological category from the language on
the basis of his desire to join simpmle prefix verbs with vavhahipux
(short) prefix verbs. We've already been over this on the list too many
times.
Rolf is playing with a fictitious language that he calls scientific because
has has deleted all the vowels and doesn't know how to read them.

If you read unvocalized texts, then learn to read them correctly.
I encourage my students to CORRECTLY read/vocalize Jonah from an
unvocalized text when they have learned the book. (and some of my first
semester students can do it!) There are two broad classes of prefix verbs
in this. vayYAqom is not the same as yaQUM or ve+yaQUM. Two morphologies.
Two broad semantic/pragmatic categories.

Randall Buth