b-hebrew - Re: vayyiqtol and Greek aspect-washb.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: yochanan bitan-buth <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: vayyiqtol and Greek aspect-washb.
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:06:18 -0400

dave washburn katav:
>Frank Stagg, writing in JBL, referred to
>it ast "the abused aorist" and pointed out that the aorist is exactly
>what its name implies: the undefined simple past (at least in the
>indicative).

which is like saying it's not half a dozen, it's six. "Undefined simple
past" is a perfective par excellance. In fact, 'simple' is a nice synonym
for perfective. As for 'past' in the indicative. He's right, of course.
Which Porter rejects because it's not "exceptionless". I don't have a lot
of time for counting angels on pinheads. I think most intuitively recognize
that indicative aorist encodes past.

ERRWSO
RAndall Buth