b-hebrew - RE: Egyptian for "people"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lester, G Brooke" <brooke.lester AT PTSEM.EDU>
  • To: 'Biblical Hebrew ' <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Egyptian for "people"
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:53:52 -0400

Hello,
the two candidates that I know of would be
1) rmT (T=underline t) /remetch/: men, humans, occ. 'Egyptians.'
2) rxyt (x=hooked h) /rexeet/: common folk, subjects, humankind.

The second may have more political connotations, "subjects of king."
Interestingly, since you mention 'aM, the Middle Kingdom Egypian for
"Asiatics" is "'3m" /'am/. I suppose that at some point the Asiatics with
whom Egypt had contact referred to themselves, in a Semitic tongue, as "the
People."

Best wishes,
Brooke