b-hebrew - Re: Infamous Ugaritic text: an eclipse

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Infamous Ugaritic text: an eclipse
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:46:09 +0100

You missed my point here, Ian. My point is that if this is a proper text,
rather than a random collection of sentences, the author must have intended
some sort of implicit logical connection between the two sentences. Scholars
are probably right not to include a link in the translation as they cannot
be sure of the author's intention across such a large cultural gap. But they
would be well advised to suggest the link in any commentary on the passage.
What logical connection would you suggest, from your wide reading of
translations into many modern languages (and translators' comments, no
doubt) as well as the original? Or do you think this was a tablet used for
writing practice so that the sentences do not make up a meaningful text?

Peter Kirk