b-hebrew - Re: Majestic Plural

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • To: "Roger Hutchinson" <rhutchin AT macol.net>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Majestic Plural
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 07:57:00 +0200

Dear Mr. Hutchinson,

I believe the "majestic plural" has been documented in the Tell el Amarna
letters from Canaanite princes, who address Pharaoh as "my gods" or
something to that effect. I also recall some Phoenician inscriptions using
the "Majestic plural" as well. Some biblical scholars have concluded that
the "majestic plural" (Elohim) is an ancient well established form of
address dating from Late Bronze Age times.

All the best,

Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
Walldorf by Heidelberg