b-hebrew - Re: Jericho's anomalies (Dibon, Hiel the Bethelite)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jericho's anomalies (Dibon, Hiel the Bethelite)
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 19:25:32 +0100

Data:
Pharaoh reported that Dibon was occupied at a particular time.
Modern archaeologists report that Dibon was not occupied at that time.

So, either Pharaoh or modern archaeologists are mistaken. Since Pharaoh was
there at the time, I think it is more likely that modern archaeologists are
mistaken. There is a similar situation with Tadmor, mentioned in Assyrian
sources long before the foundation date attributed by archaeologists.

Conclusion:
Reports from modern archaeologists that any place (whether Dibon, Jericho,
Ai, Jerusalem or wherever) was unoccupied at any particular time are
unreliable.

Corollary:
These reports seem to be the primary data for the postings of Walter
Mattfeld and others who post on this list, and indeed apparently for many
entries in the Anchor Bible Dictionary. Since their arguments are based on
unreliable data, their conclusions should also be treated as unreliable.

Peter Kirk