b-hebrew - RE: god's presence as oppression

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <spedrson AT thesimpsons.com>
  • To: "Jim West" <jwest AT highland.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: god's presence as oppression
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:39:17 -0400

Have you read "A Whirlpool of Torment?" (Fortress) by James Crenshaw? The
subtitle is "Israelite traditions of God as an Oppressive Presence," and it
fits very well with your inquiry. (Actually, I think a chapter is devoted
to each of the issues you raised.) I got it a year or two ago on a pretty
good discount, but I don't remember where. It must have been CBD, Amazon
(not likely), or Eisenbrauns, but I don't remember offhand which one. It's
a short book, probably around 100 pp., but its worth far outweighs its
deceptive size. As I recall, there are some relevant essays in "Shall Not
the Judge of All the Earth Do What is Right?" a recently published
Festschrift to Dr. Crenshaw from Eisenbrauns. It's also a collection worth
having.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

Trevor Peterson
Adjunct Prof. of Bible