b-hebrew - Re: Mt.Sinai in Arabia?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "SCOTT, PETER" <peter.scott AT bell.ca>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mt.Sinai in Arabia?
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:27:38 -0400

Tony

Paul Dion, who is retiring at the end of this term from the Department
of Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations at the UofT, sets forward some
thoughtful arguments on the geographical location of Mt. Sinai. The
material is part of an introductory course of the history of Ancient
Israel.

One proposal is "Khala 'l-Bedr in NW Saudi Arabia, 200 miles SE of
Aqaba. The main contemporary exponent of this view is the French
orientalist Jean Koenig. His arguments should not be rejected too
lightly, but it is true that they are not decisive." (From unpublished
lecture notes of Prof.Paul Dion. 1999. The lecture notes were posted
on the Robarts Library site but only one lecture remains.)

You may want to go across campus and talk to him.

Peter Scott