b-hebrew - Re: WHICH LEXICON???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: yochanan bitan <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: WHICH LEXICON???
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:59:26 -0400

safran katav:
>The trouble with Even Shoshan is that he had an imperfect knowledge of
>Comparative Semitic philology. For example, in his dictionary, he
>derived BH peraqdan from Greek proctis, when any Akkadian scholar would
>know of the Akkadian verb naparqadu.

Absolutely right.
No one is suggesting that Even-Shoshan's analyses or definitions should be
used or that he is complete. but for a practical outline of the 'lay of the
land', what exists, what doesn't, including seeing citations that go
against his categorization, and for immediate context, it is the place to
start.
A very useful book,
though they could use better binding since they keep falling apart on me.

braxot
Randall Buth