b-hebrew - Ivrit and BH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew Anstey" <manstey AT portal.ca>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Ivrit and BH
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:38:42 -0700

Gday all

The problem of modern Hebrew speakers apporaching BH is exactly the same
with Greek. We had three Greek orthodox ordinands in our Koine Greek class
and they all struggled terribly. But you should have heard them read out the
NT at break-neck speed! Even the teacher (Dr John Lee) was impressed. Their
services are all in Koine Greek but even that didn't help them. This is
typical in most languages. So for medieval German and French etc, often the
experts are not native speakers. Just an oddity of life.

Shalom
Matthew Anstey

  • Ivrit and BH, Matthew Anstey, 04/12/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Ivrit and BH, yochanan bitan, 04/13/2000