b-hebrew - Eccl. 3.5 - Stones

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Ens" <dens AT callisto.uwinnipeg.ca>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Eccl. 3.5 - Stones
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 17:24:42

Hello there. I am a first year Biblical Hebrew student and have been
enjoying the dialogue on this list. I am working on Ecclesiastes 3.1-8 and
am puzzled by the reference to throwing and gathering stones in verse 5.
All the other verses, with the exception of verse 8 contain parallelisms
between parts A and B of the verse. However, I am finding it difficult to
make a parallel between:
A time to throw out stones and a time to gather stones
A time to embrace and a time to be distant from
embracing

Is there something significant about the stones that I am not aware of?
Any thoughts?

Thanks - Dave Ens
Winnipeg, MB