b-hebrew - Re: The Assyrian King of Babylon identified (Isa.14:1-27)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • Subject: Re: The Assyrian King of Babylon identified (Isa.14:1-27)
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 01:30:44 -0500

Interesting research, and I don't dispute your main points. But I'm
not sure who you are trying to fool today in calling Isaiah a "true
prophet" while at the same time presenting him as a false prophet,
i.e. one who either made predictions which did not come true (the
defining characteristic of a false prophet according to Deuteronomy
18:21-22) or presented apparent predictions which were actually made
after the event. Anyway, we must be very careful before saying that a
prophet's predictions did not come true, as very often we find
ourselves relying on silence, i.e. assuming that our partial knowledge
(mainly derived from tendentious sources) of what actually happened at
a remote time is full knowledge of that time. It certainly is not,
there is room for a lot more things to have happened than we have
surviving records of.

Peter Kirk

_________________________________
Author: <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com> at Internet
Date: 01/04/2000 21:07

<snip>

.. So, I understand Isaiah to be a true prophet of the 8th century BCE and
that his "after the fact oracle" is alluding to the death of Sargon II in
705 BCE. ... (thus fulfilling the prophet's prophecy that all his wealth
would be taken, but not as envisoned by the prophet, that is to say, by the
Chaldeans). Isaiah's failed prophecies are proof he is of the 8th century
BCE (that is Isaiah 1-39).

<snip>