b-hebrew - Ezekiel 13:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Michael Miles" <mwm AT zadok.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Ezekiel 13:1
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 15:27:12 -0800

Greetings,

I'm working on Ezekiel chapter 13 and have run into a situation where the
verse opens with a vav consecutive conjunction running into an apocopated
qal imperfect/jussive verb and I'd like to conjugate the English rendition
for this combination correctly. I'd see it as "and comes". I don't rightly
see how "and came" can be used to translate the idea brought forth in the
Hebrew.

I'd understand this to be an example of WAYYIQTOL, or is there somethign
about wayyiqtol that excludes jussives? The term is new to me, so please
excuse my ignorance.

While I'm here, what significance does the merka accent hold in this verse;
specifically in the first instance? I know it's conjunctive, but to what?
Since there is no atnah to split the verse, what dichotomy is this, if any?
And why are all the raphe left out of the BHS?

Is there a transliteration scheme for this list and if so, where can I get a
copy? I've seen people inquire before but I've missed any/all responses.

Much thanks,
Michael Miles

  • Ezekiel 13:1, Michael Miles, 03/11/2000