b-hebrew - Herem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Herem
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 20:06:35 -0500

I just noticed another use of Herem which might explain the
use in Malachi.
Ezra 10:8 "all those who fail to appear in 3 days will have their property
yaHaram." The term is usually translated "confiscated." I know no one
who has translated it "destroyed."
Given the presumed parallel time period (the Persian period) this may
be the relevant parallel.
It means taken away from the owner and given to the community.
That is it's meaning in Lev. as well, where the community is the temple.
Confiscation of property is a very Persian sanction for defiance of the
officials. The Persian word is shraushaw (or something) Ezra 7:26.

Rereading the story of Achan, the gold, silver, and bronze are also under
Herem, and are put in the treasury (of the temple/tabernacle). (The English
of Jos 6:19 has a "but," it should have an "and." The people and animals are
also
turned over to God as well, but by killing. This is similar to redeeming the
first born from God/death.
Perhaps Malachi should be translated "strike the land with a ban."
Meaning, it will lay fallow, nothing will grow.
It won't belong to anyone, and won't be tilled.

Some thoughts.

Hope this helps.

Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried