b-hebrew - Re[2]: Cantillation and Isaiah 40

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Cantillation and Isaiah 40
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 11:18:57 -0500

Thank you for this contribution. You have surely shown that the Hebrew
division is at least as uncertain as the LXX one, and there is no
convincing reason to set the Hebrew against the New Testament.

I have a question arising from this. I know that many Hebrew MSS are
in part written in poetic lines, as is BHS. Now are the lines in BHS
taken from the layout in manuscript L, or any other MS, i.e. following
Masoretic tradition? Or are they solely the work of the modern BHS
editors? That will of course affect how one would respond to this
posting.

Peter Kirk