b-hebrew - Re[2]: QATAL with perfect meaning , Peter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: QATAL with perfect meaning , Peter
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 22:49:10 -0500

Yes, of course I agree that this is an approximation. I did leave out
one use of QATAL which does not fit here, its use at the start of
direct speech and sometimes as a simple event at the beginning of a
chain of events. So QATAL is somewhat wider than a true perfect, but
that is a useful starting point for interpretation. As for your three
questions:

a precative (as in "I hereby give...") - of course this can be QATAL,
each language has its own convention for this usage;

a (prophetic) simple future - I would need to look at specific
examples on this one and look at the full syntactic contexts;

a statement of plain fact as so often seen in Psalms - well, Psalms
may be slightly different language, tending towards Late Biblical
Hebrew, and these may also resemble cases of QATAL at the beginning of
direct speech.

But I wonder why you like the term "aorist"? Is it because it can be
stretched to mean almost anything? ;-) I note that the Turkish
"aorist" is totally different in meaning from the Greek "aorist".

Peter Kirk