b-hebrew - Ancient manuscripts and -nn

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Ancient manuscripts and -nn
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:05:23 +0100

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with ancient manuscripts in
order to be able to tell me if there was a scribal practice of writing a
nun + final nun in a stereotyped way, with the second stroke of the first
nun either horizontal or even slightly rising, as the letter which follows
cannot be accommodated by dropping the second stroke as normally happens.

I have seen one example of this phenomenon on a Qumran pot which has the
name ywxnn written on it. Has anyone seen any similar or contrary examples
regarding
-nn ?

Thanks,

Ian

  • Ancient manuscripts and -nn, Ian Hutchesson, 01/21/2000