b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1 Grammar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1 Grammar
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 00:02:18 -0500

Dear Lee,

Thank you for your examples. I think you could do a computer search
for this using BibleWorks, but not a 100% accurate one. But I fear it
would take more than an hour to set up such a search, except perhaps
for an expert. So thanks for your effort at finding examples by hard
work.

Yes, the following four cases really are examples of hanging
prepositional phrases with no verb, followed by a WAW which is not
part of a WAYYIQTOL. I notice that in each case the following WAW is
instead part of a WEQATAL, and they all refer to a future event in
direct speech.

Gen 3:5
Exodus 32:34
Amos 3:14
1 Ki 2:42 (this is embarrassing as I quoted the first part of this
very verse on this list only last week!)

The following are slightly different:

Gen 19:15: this has a WAYYIQTOL verb, which I specifically excluded as
I knew there were a few examples like this.

Lev 7:16: the syntax here is odd, perhaps "umimmoxorat" goes with the
preceding clause (despite the Masoretic punctuation) as it must do in
the very similar 19:6.

Psalm 138:3: Interesting! BeYOM is followed by a finite verb. But the
next verb is WAYYIQTOL. There seems to be the same ambiguity here as
in Genesis 1:1, for the meaning could be something like "In one day I
called and you answered me".

Ruth 4:5 has more than one overall interpretation (compare NIV with
NRSV), only one of them involves the structure in question.

Eccl 12:3-4: No, here the main clause is in verse 1 and the whole of
verses 3-7 is dependent on BAYYOWM $E- in verse 3 (see NRSV).

Your other examples have a verb with the prepositional phrase. It is
an interesting study why there is sometimes but not always a following
WAW, but this is not quite my point. Two sentences may be linked by
WAW or may be in asyndeton, but that is not strictly relevant to the
question of whether a prepositional phrase without a verb may make a
sentence on its own.

So let me revise my conclusion: A hanging prepositional phrase of
time, in a clause on its own, is occasionally found in Hebrew. It is
always followed by a WAYYIQTOL or WEQATAL verb. A construct chain with
a finite verb is also found but is also very rare. The combination of
these two rare constructions in one phrase is attested possibly in
Psalm 138:3, and there are no other known examples apart from the
possible interpretation of Genesis 1:1.

So I stick to what I have written elsewhere, that where two
constructions are possible the common one should be preferred to the
very rare one.

Peter Kirk