b-hebrew - Re[2]: cherubim thrones

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: cherubim thrones
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 21:04:38 -0500

In "A Text of Time" by David Rohl (edition by Arrow, London 1996)
there are several pictures relevant to this topic. There is a "Detail
from the sarcophagus of Ahiram, ruler of Byblos, showing the Late
Bronze Age king seated on a throne flanked by winged sphinxes or
cherubim. Beirut Museum" (p.178) and a picture of "An ivory box
decorated with lions and winged sphinxes, from the Late Bronze Age
palace of Megiddo. Rockefeller Museum, Jerusalem" (p.176).

Most interestingly, there is a colour picture on p.190 and a line
drawing on p.178 of "the famous ivory plaque found in the royal palace
at Megiddo in which the king can be seen sitting on his throne whilst
being tended by his queen who offers him a papyrus plant and drinking
cup - a typical Egyptian motif (Rockefeller Museum, Jerusalem)"
(p.186); "the king is seated upon a throne, the sides of which are
guarded by winged sphinxes (i.e. human-headed lions [the ivory box
picture belies this equation, the lion and sphinx bodies are also
quite different - PK])... Solomon... had 'a great ivory throne' made
for him which was protected by 'lions' on either side [1 Kings
10:18-20]" (p.178). This ivory is dated to the Late Bronze Age, so
before the Israelite conquest in the traditional chronology, but
Rohl's revised chronology allows him to suggest, "Could we have here a
representation of Solomon and his Egyptian queen?"

Peter Kirk

PS Thank you, Walter, for being more open than some about your
presuppositions! Although mine are different, I am also happy to find
"parallels suggesting a common source of understandings about God,
Man, and the Cosmos, that the Hebrews creatively drew from in forming
their religion", while expecting that "the original ANE concept... has
been transformed", sometimes quite extensively, into something
compatible with the rather distinctive Hebrew worldview.