b-hebrew - Basic conclusions regarding Israelite religion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: barre AT access1.com
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Basic conclusions regarding Israelite religion
  • Date: 07 Jan 00 13:57:06 -0800

Dear Members,

Allow me to introduce some data regarding the god El in the hope of
generating a fruitful
discussion.

We have:

1) Bull El from Ugaritic myth.
2) The theophoric element in "Israel."
3) The sanctuary names of Bethel, Penuel, El Berith, and the altar named "El
is the god of
Israel" (Gen. 33:20).
4) The appearance of El in his wrestling match with Jacob (Gen 32:26-32).
5) The mention of El in the so-called archaic poetry as in the Oracles of
Balaam, the Blessing
of Joseph (esp. 49:22-26;), the Blessing of Moses (32:7-9).
6) The Elohist.
7) The so-called Elohistic psalter (see my website for the data).
8) The phrase bene 'el and its variants (Pss 29, 82, Deut 32:8-9).
9) The twice attested word 'el from Kintullet Ajrud.
10) The Priestly writer's divine epithets found mostly in Genesis
11) P's syncretistic tradition in Ex 6:2-3.
12) The theophoric element in personal names.

What conclusions can we draw about El from these and other data that may be
introduced?

Thank you.

LMB

L.M. Barre, Ph.D.

barre AT access1.com
www.angelfire.com/ca2/AncientIsrael
La Jolla, California

  • Basic conclusions regarding Israelite religion, barre, 01/07/2000