b-hebrew - RE: Serpent Seed Doctrine ('eTH in Gen. 4:1)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve.Thompson AT avondale.edu.au" <steve.thompson AT avondale.edu.au>
  • To: 'B-Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Serpent Seed Doctrine ('eTH in Gen. 4:1)
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:39:42 +1100

I see two linguistic obstacles to your suggestion--first, can the meaning
of the English word "twins" stretch to cover the case of children of two
separate "fathers" being carried simultaneously by one mother? Second, BH
has a perfectly acceptable noun for twins, and a verb expressing "bear
twins", so why would the narrator chose such a cryptic mode of expressing
the birth of twins?

Steven Thompson, Dean
Faculty of Theology, Avondale College
Internet: steve.thompson AT avondale.edu.au
CompuServe: 102555,1513
Voice +61 2 4980 2225
Fax +61 2 4980 2118

On Thursday, 6 January 2000 18:24, YAHSHUAS AT aol.com [SMTP:YAHSHUAS AT aol.com]
wrote:
> What you all think of Cain and Able as being twins? Eve being beguiled
by
> the serpent, therefore the father of the evil one ( Cain), and Able the
son
> of Adam? Gen. 4:2 says "she again bare his brother Able". The word
again as
> if to continue in child birth.
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [steve.thompson@avondale.