b-hebrew - RE: SV: The appropiateness of the discussion thread

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'peter_kirk AT sil.org'" <peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: SV: The appropiateness of the discussion thread
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:40:02 +0100

Dear Peter Kirk,

I can only say that if you introduce elements to a discussion among scholars
that cannot be controlled, such as the acts of God or your belief in the
acts of God, you have decided not to be part of a scholarly discussion. It
is not an attack on your beliefs, not at all. An idea about history as the
one you say you entertain is in itself a topic for a scholarly discussion
that should not be tainted by prejudices, but it has to be evaluated as
such, i.e. as a personal belief. Any idea of introducing God as a factor in
a scholarly argument would, however, be deemed as extraneous to the
discussion and left out of consideration. Otherwise we should allow us to in
a serious way to discuss matters like magic or astronomy as ways of
understanding, say nature. We can discuss astrology and magic in a
descriptive way, we can even discuss sentiments that are attached to such
things--otherwise it would be impossible to deal with, say Babylonian
omen-literature. But we cannot as scholars allow ourselves the luxus to
consider it true. This belongs to another category. I will not attack people
who believes in such things because of their personal beliefs, that is their
sake, but when they intrude on the field--battlefield if you like--of a
scholarly debate, I will attack it as foreign, extraneous to the discussion.
In order to make God a co-player in such matters you have at first to prove
the existence of God, and that is from a scholarly point of view rather
difficult, although scores if not hundreds or thousands of theologians have
tried so.

NPL