b-hebrew - Re[2]: Diachronic Hebrew (was <wayyiqtol> again)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Diachronic Hebrew (was <wayyiqtol> again)
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 00:56:01 -0500

I would hope that no such study would assume any particular number of
conjugations, but would allow that to be a result of the study - and
allow for the possibility that the number of conjugations changed
between pre-exilic and post-exilic times. Well, maybe that is
idealistic. But if other studies are flawed by assuming four
conjugations, surely Rolf's studies are at least as much flawed in
that they seem to assume two conjugations.

The methodology of looking at doublets may also be suspect. Although
there are changes between Samuel and Chronicles for example, we should
not assume that the result of these changes is good natural Hebrew of
the period of the Chronicler. Just ask someone to quickly update a
passage of the King James Bible into modern English (or the Norwegian
etc equivalent), and see how natural and perfect the result is. I
think you will spot the difference unless a lot of care has been
taken. No, much better analyse the Chronicler's own new compositions,
or such works as the memoirs of Nehemiah.

Peter Kirk