b-hebrew - Re[4]: <wayyiqtol> again

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: <wayyiqtol> again
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 02:14:41 -0500

Dear Rolf,

Many thanks for your long and detailed post.

I fear that by taking too many examples at once, and especially
difficult (and possibly late) ones such as the psalm, we will confuse
ourselves. I would like to sort out the simple points first, and then
we can go on to the more complex ones. So I would like to look at the
very first verse which you give, which is a good example for initial
discussion.

2Kings 17:6 "In the ninth year of Hoshea the king of Assyria captured
(QATAL) Samaria; he carried (WAYYIQTOL) the Israelites away to
Assyria. He placed (WAYYIQTOL) them in Halah, on the Habor, the river
of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes."

But first let me compare your examples:

(1d) At sunrise Peter had arrived. ( RT/E>C>SP)
(1e) Peter came at sunrise.( RT/E>C=SP)

Let's change (1e) slightly, without I think changing its meaning, and
so I will assume that your analysis is unchanged:

(1f) At sunrise Peter arrived. (RT/E>C=SP)

Now the analyses of (1d) and (1e) are different: in (1d) C is sunrise,
but in (1f) (as in (1e)) C is speech time. Why the difference? Now
actually I think that this is correct, for English. But how can we
know, for a Hebrew sentence, whether it is comparable with (1d) or
(1f)? Specifically, let's take

2Kings 17:6 "In the ninth year of Hoshea the king of Assyria captured
(QATAL) Samaria;..."

How do we know whether the time phrase indicates a new C, as in (1f),
or not, as in (1d)? You assume the latter. I had been thinking the
former, but maybe I was misunderstanding the theory. But I still don't
see how we can be sure of the difference. I wonder if the difference
in Hebrew is linked to the presence of absence of "WAYHIY" before the
time phrase - absent here?

Meanwhile, how would Galia have analysed (1d) and (1f)? She wrote, on
27 December:

1. Mary ate a banana.
2. Mary will eat a banana.
3. Mary has eatn a banana.

...So what is the difference between (1) and (3)? Reichenbach
claims that speakers take into account a third point of time, he
labels Reference-Time (henceforth: R-time, or just R). So, every
sentence (in English) is to be analyzed according to THREE times
(in Reichenbach...): S, E and R. According to him, the difference
between (1) and (3) is in the relationship of the three times. In
(1) E and R associate, both precede S, while in (3) S and R
associate, both follow E. The sentence in (4) clearly shows that
there are three times:

4. (when John arrived) Mary had already left.

As Reichenbach determines for the past-perfect sentence in (4),
the E-time of Mary's leaving precedes the S-time, but also the
R-time determined by the adverbial I put in brackets... The
simple-past in (1) builds an R-time, while the past-perfect in
(4) does not. I conclude that the past-perfect is NOT an
R-building form... That is why without the bracketed sentence,
(4) would be ungrammatical. A sentence like "Mary had eaten"
cannot be interpreted without providing an R-time.

Galia's (1) seems to correspond to my (1f), and her (4) to your (1d).
So I think she would analyse (please, Galia, correct me if I am
wrong!) the verb form in (1f) as building a new R-time and that in
(1d) as not doing so. Thus the time phrase "At sunrise" is required in
(1d) to build the R-time for this sentence (unless the R-time is
already given in the context), but is optional in (1f).

So we can tabulate the sentences as follows:

Rolf Galia
(1d) At sunrise Peter had arrived. C is sunrise R is sunrise
(1f) At sunrise Peter arrived. C is speech time R is event time

So I conclude that my analysis of your (Rolf's) C as equivalent to
Galia's R was not correct. There is nothing in your theory, as far as
I can see, which corresponds to Galia's R. I think that that is
unfortunate as I think I am finding Galia's analysis more useful.

Galia's point about the optionality of the time phrase may help to
decide on how to view the X+QATAL construction of 2 Kings 17:6. If the
time phrase is optional, the sentence is more like (1f), and if it is
compulsory, the sentence is more like (1d). Well, there certainly are
X+QATAL constructions without time phrases, but very often they are
flashbacks of the type which could be translated in English by a
pluperfect without an explicit time phrase, such as "John left. Peter
had arrived." On the other hand, I don't think we would want to
translate 2 Kings 17:6 "In the ninth year of Hoshea the king of
Assyria had captured Samaria..." So maybe we take this clause as
similar to (1f), which is your analysis. On the other hand, Galia has
said that QATAL does not build a new R-time, so I guess she would
analyse this clause as more similar to (1d) - is that right, Galia?

Now let's look at the continuation of the verse: "he carried
(WAYYIQTOL)... He placed (WAYYIQTOL)..." I agree (from the pragmatics)
that these must be sequential events in this case. So in that case
they must have new RT's according to your theory, corresponding to the
nuclei or codas of each event, but I think you are taking them as
having the same C as the first clause of the verse. (Your rejection of
my suggestion that WAYYIQTOL might be future logically rules out my
earlier thought that you might take C as being the time of the
previous event in the chain). The problem with that analysis is that
it ignores the important matter of the temporal relationship between
the successive clauses. Galia would also analyse these clauses as
having new reference times (though in (1d) her reference time is not
the same as your reference time), and her comments about
sequentiality, although rather confusing to me, suggest that her
theory is concerned with the temporal relationship between successive
reference times.

So I am now coming towards the conclusion that the theory behind your
approach, although superficially similar to Galia's, is in fact very
different from it and results in a quite different analysis of a very
simple and typical narrative verse like this one. I must say that I
find Galia's analysis more helpful and yours less so. Since your
analysis is based on Broman Olsen, I am left wondering whether the
problem is with her theory or with your application of it to Hebrew. I
wonder, has Broman Olsen published an analysis of sentences like
Galia's (1) and (4)? (I don't have her book available.) I am just
wondering if in her theory C might actually work more like Galia's R,
in a sentence like (1f) and also in the continuation WAYYIQTOLs
discussed above. That, to my mind, would be a more useful theory, at
least for the purposes of Hebrew.

I regret that I am unable to make sense of the rest of your posting
while I am still confused about the theory on which you base it.

Peter Kirk