b-hebrew - Re: Serpent Seed Doctrine

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • To: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Serpent Seed Doctrine
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 20:56:29 -0500 (EST)

Shalom,

Thanks Peter. I really had never heard of this before, and it was just a
curiosity to me. Some people messaged me and said it would be considered
anti-Semetic to ask such a question or to raise this issue....but I wasn't
trying to instigate a religious argument, I just wanted to know if this
was true vis a vis what the Hebrew in the Genesis verses showed. Thanks
for the response.

Wondell M. Rachman

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 peter_kirk AT sil.org wrote:

> Dear Wondell,
>
> The answer is very simple. Genesis 4:1 states clearly that Cain was
> the son of Adam as well as Eve, and also credits YHWH with helping
> here. Also, while the word "know" (YD`) means "have sexual relations"
> in a few cases (BDB lists 17 references), in the great majority of its
> 943 occurrences it simply means "know". If there is an underlying
> theme of sexual seduction in Genesis 3, it is not this word which
> indicates it.
>
> It should also be made clear that (despite the similar sounds in
> English) the names Cain (Qayin) and Canaan (Kena`an, 9:18) are quite
> different and unrelated in Hebrew.
>
> Peter Kirk

> _________________________________
> Subject: Serpent Seed Doctrine
> Author: <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU> at Internet
> Date: 31/12/1999 23:00
>

> Shalom,
>
> Has anyone heard of this doctrine? I know it is espoused by some Christian
> Identity groups and white supremacists like Pastor Arnold Murray?
>
> The story goes that in the Torah it really states that Qayin(Cain) was the
> child of Satan/Enki. He was driven underneath the earth by Yaweh/Enlil.
> Because The Serpent(Satan) seduced Eve, she was supposedly impregnated by
> him and thus bore Qayin or Canaanites lineage. Further proof is offered
> that in Genesis 4, Adam is nowhere to be found in the genealogy of Qayin
> and in Adam's genealogy(Gen Chapter 5), Qayin is nowhere to be found.
> Further supposed proof is that it was the Serpent that came to Eve, and
> that they conspired together to have sex so that they could produce a seed
> that would be a blend of the Material Sons (Adamites) and the Nodites
> (children of Nod). Kain is the supposed child of this union between the 2.
>
> I note that in most fables of the " Garden of Eden " story, they
> speak of the fruit having to do with sex, which is why it was said " And
> the KNEW... " Knowing thruout the bible conotes sex, ex. " And Adam knew
> his wife Eve... " etc. Could anyone offer any breakdown of the actual
> Hebrew to support or disclaim any of this? I am interested to know how the
> language and actual grammar is relevant at all here.
>
> Shalom.
>
> Wondell M. Rachman
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
> To unsubscribe, forward this message to
> leave-b-hebrew-14207U AT franklin.oit.unc.e
> du
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU

  • Re: Serpent Seed Doctrine, gs02wmr, 01/01/2000