b-hebrew - Re: Autographs, MSS and REAL Historiography Re: Methods in biblical scholarship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ken Litwak <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • To: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Autographs, MSS and REAL Historiography Re: Methods in biblical scholarship
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 00:27:26 -0800

I have some things I want to note about the response I got.
. I have, admittedly, read much more by Thomas THompson that Lemche.
I'm threfore representin the view I reaad in THompson and I'm also
building on what Niels Lemche has writtne in posts on this list. Is he
disavowing the contents of those posts? Just becuase you don't like
how I read Thomas Thompson or your own posts is hardly justification for
saying that I don't know what I'm talking aout.

2. The case with classical writigns is no different at all from the
Hebrew Bible. The question is, what is the relation between theearlist
known MS and the autograph. The question is, does the date of teh
earliest known MS have anything to do with the date of the autograph,
other than setting the latest possible date. ? You didn't answer that.
YOu just made an ad hominem atack on me.

Finally, as a matter of ffact, I've hread several anceint authors on
ancient hisoriography, especially THucydides, Josephys, Xenophon and
Lucian, but QUintillain is in there too, and I've done so mostly in
Greek. What about you? What did you read in them aout ancient history
writing that I didn't? Please enlighten us on whatyou think ancient
historians wre up to. I hope it's not that nonesense about ancient
historians didn't intend to convey fact but just wanted to entertain.
It's plainly obfious to the most casualobserver from reading THucydides
and Lucian, for example, that such a view is a modern myth not based on
the actual data. I'm willing to discuss this though, but I don't
suppose this is the place to step through LUcian's on History Writing in
Greek. I'mr aedy though, if you've got data on this. I suspect, like
others, that you make this claim but can't show me passages from these
authors when push comes to shove to show a idfferent positoin. Sure,
you can point to Homer, but those who wrote aout histoircal method, like
Lucian, put Homer in a totally different category from Thucydides andthe
like.

As for classical evidence, I can point to lots of alleged historical
events known to us only from texts which there is no hard evidence for.
Since all the classical texts come from the 6tth cent AD or alrer, they
wree obviously all doen y the same group so of course they reflect the
same positions.

Ken Litwak