b-hebrew - Re: Methods in biblical scholarship (Solomon)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Methods in biblical scholarship (Solomon)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 07:38:16 -0800

We are dealing with different questions. In my original reply, I was
responding to
Peter Kirk's question:

<In the late first century or early second century CE Jewish canon, was Enoch
included?>

Therefore, my replies are in light of that question, which concerns the "late
first
century or early second century CE Jewish canon." It would appear that we are
considering the canon of nascent rabbinic Judaism here, not the canon of the
Essenes
or other apocalyptic groups. And for me, "canon" means canon of the Tanach.
Or, so I
understood the question.

I am sure that the apocalyptic and pseudepigraphic writings were considered
as sacred
or "canonical" by various sects or schools of thought among first century
Jews. But
in my estimation, an "early second century CE Jewish canon" stems from the
work of
authorities such as Rabban Yochanan ben Zakkai at Yavneh, and beyond.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org