b-hebrew - Re: Illegible Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Cindy Smith <cms AT dragon.com>
  • To: B-HEBREW AT FRANKLIN.OIT.UNC.EDU
  • Cc: cms AT dragon.com
  • Subject: Re: Illegible Hebrew
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 18:58:00 -0500

Many notes in my English Bible remark, "Hebrew obscure." I recall
reading somewhere once, "Hebrew illegible." Is my memory faulty or
are there certain passages in the Hebrew Bible that, over centuries of
copying, are simply illegible? If memory serves, I read the
expression "Hebrew illegible" in the Jewish Publication Society (JPS)
translation. In Job 19:20, my NAB translates it, "My bones cleave to
my skin, and I have escaped with my flesh between my teeth," and the
notes remark, "meaning perhaps that Job has been reduced to such an
extremity that he scarecely has thin lips over his teeth. But the
current Hebrew text of this line is probably corrupt." Does the word
"corrupt" mean "illegible"?

Cindy Smith Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
GO AGAINST THE FLOW! \\ _\\\_ _///_ // A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
cms AT dragon.com >IXOYE=('> <`)= _<< "Delay not your conversion
cms AT romancatholic.org// /// \\\ \\ to the LORD, Put it not off
cms AT 5sc.com from day to day" Ecclus/Sira 5:8

  • Re: Illegible Hebrew, Cindy Smith, 12/26/1999