b-hebrew - Re: Successful challenges (Jonathan Safren)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Ruthy & Baruch <alster AT comandcom.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Successful challenges (Jonathan Safren)
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:39:18 +0200

Ruthy & Baruch wrote:

> There's an article (in English) by a teacher of mine, Uriel Simon, in
> _Minhah Lenahum_ (N. Sarna's festschrift), dealing with Ibn Ezra's
> "Yitzchaki". There seem to be a few opinions who this scholar was (no one
> mentioned Rashi at all). Simon himself does not come to a conclusion on
> this issue; his article deals with the question why Ibn Ezra wanted
> Yitzchaki's books burned. The idea that Ibn Ezra's rejection of Yitzchaki
> is due to his late dating of parts of the Torah is ruled out, by the mere
> fact that Ibn Ezra did just that in other places. The major difference
> between the two is that Ibn Ezra kept his twelve verses "secret", while
> Yitzchaki wrote his opinion in plain language, that even the uninformed
> could understand.
> ---

Someone did write that this Yitzhaki was Rashi, but I can't remember whom. It
was
because of reading this that I compared both Rashi and Ibn Ezra on Gen.
36:31. To me
it appears very clear that Ibn Wzra is demanding that Yitzhaki's books be
burnt
because of doubting Mosaic authorship - or at least, for making this
statement
openly.
As for Rashi=Yitzhaki, Rashi could, but need not be construed as implying
that the
Edomite list dates from Jehoshafat's time. Could Ibn Ezra have had a
different version
of Rashi? As you know, there are different versions of Ibn Ezra; but I'm not
up on
Rashi studies.
Thanks for the Simon article.
Yours,