b-hebrew - Re: Historz of Edom

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Historz of Edom
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:40:53 +0200

Jonathan Bailey wrote:

> I am interested in letting this list work for me a little bit and provide
> me with
> information as opposed to letting it take all my time by feeling obligated
> to answer
> every question posed. Now 2nd millenium history is something that I have
> been
> meaning to get acquainted with, and I would like to ask you just exactly
> how we know
> that there wasn't a permanent settlement in Edom until the mid 13th century?

Dear Jonathan,
I'm not up on my archaeology, but try, for starters, Nelson Glueck's _The
Other Side of
the Jordan_ or his _Excavations in Eastern Palestine_.
I know that more recent excavations, such as those at Hisban (Heshbon) have
confirmed
that the settlement of Transjordan begins in the mid- to late 13th century
BCE.
Yours,
--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies

  • Historz of Edom, Jonathan Bailey, 12/21/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Historz of Edom, Jonathan D. Safren, 12/21/1999
    • SV: Historz of Edom, Niels Peter Lemche, 12/21/1999