b-hebrew - The Trump Card; was: Re: SV: Re[12]: JEPD Evidence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kdlitwak <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • To: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: The Trump Card; was: Re: SV: Re[12]: JEPD Evidence
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:21:55 -0800

I won't enter this discussion as such. The arguments against JEDP have
been made
many times by many researchers, from William Green to Umberto Cassuto to
R.Rendtorff. There are many problems with JEDP, such as its philosophical
basis
(anti-Semitsim and a completely speculative reconstruction of Israelite
religious
history), the continuing division of sources (as shown in the Anchor Bible
Dictionary
article on it) based solely on the divine name, the lack of a parallel
document that
is known to be composed of multiple sources, and the inability of the theory
account for how one author or redactor, in control of all the sources, was
evidently
unable to see purportedly glaring problems and correct them. So there's no
real need
for me to discus this. It's all been done. Humans sift all "facts" through
an
interpretive grid informed first and foremost not by their own interpretive
grid.
One's ideology determines as much about what one will accept as evidence as
anything
else. Give this one important truth from postmodernism, can we dispense with
the
playing of the "I'm the real scholar" trump card? Or maybe more to the
point, can we
talk about biblical hebrew? I'll even suggest a topic. How to make all the
linguistic theory I see on this list accessible to someone like me with no
training in
that area?

Ken Litwak

Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

> I will continue this theme as long as necessary. I have been in this game
> for more than 30 years, I know the rules and my colleagues know them as well
> wherever they live in the world of the academia. I also know that at the
> fringe, some institutions that may consider themselves academic ones,
> entertain ideas that are foreign to scholarship. Scholarship is not decided
> by a majority vote and although several contributors to this line of
> argument seem to think that what is not accepted by people who is running
> the game can be accepted nevertheless, they will never counts as serious or
> major figures in this business. I think that such people should address
> scholars of a certain standard within other fields and see how they react,
> when somebody is invoking supernaturalistic phenomena, are continuously
> disregarding more than two hundred years of scholarship without presenting
> any serious arguments against it (although such arguments are easy to find).
> Maybe people of my group is simply waisting our time on such discussions but
> it is necessary in order that the field shall survive as an academic
> discipline. But I certainly do understand why so few of the top people are
> active on the lists and may find thmselves in a foreugn if not hostile
> world.
>
> By the way, Peter Kirk's football player is according to the standards of
> the world outside the US not football players, since they most of the time
> use their hands. A football player is except in the USA what is there
> derogatory caller a 'soccer player'. Pele was a football player, Monotano a
> quarterback in American football.
>
> NPL

  • The Trump Card; was: Re: SV: Re[12]: JEPD Evidence, kdlitwak, 12/21/1999