b-hebrew - Re: Theophoric names for women?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Cindy Smith <cms AT dragon.com>
  • To: tbbyoung AT flash.net
  • Cc: B-HEBREW AT FRANKLIN.OIT.UNC.EDU, cms AT dragon.com
  • Subject: Re: Theophoric names for women?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 13:07:14 -0500

Todd,

I was intrigued by your mention of _All the Women of the Bible_ by
Dr. Herbert Lockyear, but since it's published by Zondervan, it probably
doesn't contain any information about Judith and other women of the
deuterocanonicals. Do you know of a book that truly discusses _all_ the
women of the Bible, not just the ones in the protocanonicals? Thanks.

Also, out of curiosity, I noticed that the name Michael is variously
spelled Michal, Michel, Melchol. Does this name mean "Who is like God?"
or "brook"?

Cindy Smith Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
GO AGAINST THE FLOW! \\ _\\\_ _///_ // A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
cms AT dragon.com >IXOYE=('> <`)= _<< "Delay not your conversion
cms AT romancatholic.org// /// \\\ \\ to the LORD, Put it not off
cms AT 5sc.com from day to day" Ecclus/Sira 5:8