b-hebrew - Re: JEPD Evidence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: JEPD Evidence
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:18:57 -0500

POINT 1: So are you saying that Moses (or whoever) was such a careless
editor that he just didn't notice that he had left doublets in his
text, even when they were as close together as Genesis 6:2 and 4? And
despite that he managed to produce such a brilliant literary work?
Talk about schizophrenic authors! OK, I admit that the rather odd
structure of this passage needs explaining, but I expect there are
other ways to do that e.g. by interpreting 'ASHER in 6:4 to mean
something like "as a result of".

POINT 2: As for the divisions by the "toldot" formula, is it evidence
of the multiple authorship of this E-mail (before the "Reply
Separator"!) that there is a repeated formulaic heading "POINT n"?

POINT 3 (relevant to some other recent postings): Is it evidence that
a different Peter Kirk wrote this E-mail that I am adopting a
tongue-in-cheek combative style for this one rather than the more
academic style of some of my other recent postings?

Peter Kirk