b-hebrew - Re: Re; kirk-aspect vs kind of action

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re; kirk-aspect vs kind of action
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:14:11 -0500

Dear Randall,

Thank you for your helpful comments. I think your predictions are more
or less borne out from what I know of Russian - of course I don't know
how much you know, but then I realise the situation is similar to
Greek, and not so different from English. But there is this
significant difference, that in Russian almost all prefixes combine a
lexically conditioned (and so not fully predictable) type or direction
of action meaning with a predictable change from perfective to
imperfective, which is cancelled only by adding an imperfectivising
suffix. I still don't quite see how the whole thing can be layered and
broken up in a helpful way, but then I realise that I don't properly
understand the underlying theories in this field.

Peter Kirk

PS "Kirk" is my family name, I prefer to be known as "Peter", or
perhaps "Mr. Kirk". In the style guide of "The Times" of London, only
criminals and sportsmen are to be referred to by surnames without
titles. I don't fit into either of those categories. Perhaps scholars
and authors may also be referred to by surname (though never, I think,
to their face), as may schoolboys, but I'm not sure I fit here except
perhaps in the last category.