b-hebrew - Re[2]: Prototype Theory and Hebrew Tense/Aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Prototype Theory and Hebrew Tense/Aspect
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 12:23:15 -0500

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your quick response. I don't think Kimmo Huovila or I are
making the strict distinctions you are making between syntax,
semantics and discourse structure. Maybe we should. He gives no
further justifications e.g. for any extension into new fields, maybe
his references do (I haven't read them). Anyway, if aspect is a
semantic feature, are extensions being made? My justification would
be, if it works, it's justified, but then I'm not a theoretical
linguist!

Yes, your set of features looks good, and you're probably right that
sequence does not really fit here.

Peter Kirk