b-hebrew - Re: Please cite sources for JEDP "refutation(s)" or USEFULNE

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <sundance AT neosoft.com>
  • Subject: Re: Please cite sources for JEDP "refutation(s)" or USEFULNE
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:33:06 -0500

I wonder if "refutation" is needed for the JEDP approach. Since this
hypothesis is well over 100 years old and is largely dependant at the
foundational level on a discredited model of the history of religions,
I think the onus is on those who continue to assume JEDP to prove
their case. So I would be more interested in seeing a thorough modern
exposition of this theory, based on up-to-date arguments including
linguistic analysis rather than appeal to 19th century authorities.
Maybe Vince's work will lead him in this direction, or maybe towards a
refutation - best of all, I would hope, a balanced reevaluation of the
hypothesis.

Peter Kirk