b-hebrew - Re: Genesis 1:1: independ/subord... Recent comments

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Genesis 1:1: independ/subord... Recent comments
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 20:50:39 -0500

Re comment 1: I have dealt with this in detail in my reply to Prof.
Niccacci. This construction occurs, but it is not common. The reader
would naturally read here the common construction rather than the rare
one. For further details, see my other postings. I still stand by what
I wrote, except that perhaps the issue is not as clear cut as I
originally thought.

Re comment 2: Now who's appealing to authorities, i.e. how other
scholars have translated this text? And who is the one who is looking
only at the evidence, the Hebrew text? Anyway, I dealt with the
question of Jewish interpretations later in my reply to Prof.
Niccacci.

Peter Kirk