b-hebrew - Re[4]: Genesis 1:1: independent clause or subordinate ph

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: Genesis 1:1: independent clause or subordinate ph
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 18:44:26 -0500

To summarise again my argument: If Rashi is correct, we would have to
translate as follows, complete with punctuation:

"In the beginning of God creating the heavens and the earth. The earth
was without form and void..."

Unfortunately this is ungrammatical in English as a prepositional
phrase cannot be a complete sentence. I believe the same to be true in
Hebrew. I prefer a translation which is grammatical. Did Rashi answer
this point?

Peter Kirk

_________________________________
Author: <lewreich AT javanet.com> at Internet
Date: 07/12/1999 12:16

The traditional Jewish commentator Rashi remarks on B.:R")$IYT, commenting,
if I recall correctly, on the occurrence in Jeremiah, but noting, in effect,
that it means not "in the beginning", but "in the beginning of", and thus
that the verb BfRfH, which would be appropriate if it were "in the
beginning", should be read BRoH - in the beginning of God' creation of the
heaven and earth, the earth was void and without form..." as a couple of
new translations have rendered it.

Lewis Reich