b-hebrew - Fwd: Prov 30:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Fwd: Prov 30:4
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 12:00:06 PST

From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT hotmail.com>
To: Biblical Greek <b-greek AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Subject: Prov 30:4
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 11:45:18 PST

Dear friends,

I had a question regarding Prov 30:4 which reads "...what is his name, and what is his son's name...."(KJV)
The MT has 'BEN' for "son" in the singular whereas the LXX has "hUIOOI" (I
believe this is how it is spelled, I don't have the text before me), "sons"
in the plural. Any ideas as to why the LXX uses the plural in Greek while
the Hebrew MT uses the singular "son"? Many thanks.

Tony Costa, B.A.
University of Toronto