b-hebrew - Imperative followed by cohortative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Armando Cottim (DSI)" <armando.cottim AT mundialconfianca.pt>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Imperative followed by cohortative
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 10:16:39 +0100

Hi fellows,

I'm sorry if this has been discuss but I've got no access to the archives
(tech problem, no http access).

I've been reading about Abraham's covenant and a couple of statements left
some doubts.

Allow me:

1) When there is an imperative followed by cohortatives the basic meaning of
the cohortatives is one of intention.
2) H.W.Wolf says; "After an inperative, a consecutive clause in the first
person is formed with a cohortative." and also "Such consecutive clauses may
have the sense of a result as well as the sense of an intention".

The main texts for imperative followed by cohortatives are Gen 12:1 and 1
Sam 26:11.

Can you elaborate on these? Any ideas, however provocative ;-), will be
welcome.

TIA
Armando

Armando A. Cottim
armando.cottim AT mundialconfianca.pt
Microsoft Certified Professional
Certified Novell Engineer
Certified Novell Instructor
TekMetrics Certified COBOL II Programmer
TekMetrics Certified Visual Basic 5 Programmer
TekMetrics Certified Web Programmer
TekMetrics Certified HTML Programmer
TekMetrics Certified Windows 95 Administrator
TekMetrics Certified Windows 98 Administrator