b-hebrew - Re: Typology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Garrett B Trott <gtrott AT juno.com>
  • To: jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Typology
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 19:46:35 -0700

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999 11:56:23 +0200 Jonathan Bailey
<jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de> writes:
>Who is L. Goppelt?

Leonard Goppelt wrote a dissertation in (I belive) the 1930's in German
in which he explained how typology worked throughout the NT. His
dissertation started a fresh look at typology and was really a landmark
in that area of study. He also did the TDNT article on the Greek word
tupos, again an excellent article.

>As far as I am concerned, typology is God's primary method of
>revealing himself
>through scripture, and I am completely suprised at the level (lack) of
>typological
>exegesis in the church today. Paul relied heavily on typology.

This is an issue that is in very hot debate. Don't know how much reading
you have done on the topic, but some would firmly agree with that
statement, others would not. Even whether or not typology is a method of
exegesis is in hot debate as well, a lot of scholars see it as a method
of making a text applicable to an audience that is sometimes backed by
sound exegesis. Once again, for every scholar who has done work on this
issue (and there are a lot of them) there are atleast two opinions.

>Is this L. Goppelt a famous "typologist"? I would be very interested
>in reading
>something by him.

Goppelt, atleast to my knowledge, is not a typologist himself. He was, I
believe, a NT scholar in Germany. His dissertation however is well worth
reading!

-Garrett

  • Typology, Jonathan Bailey, 10/30/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Typology, Garrett B Trott, 10/30/1999