b-hebrew - Re: Debtor on Isa. 7:14 and the Hebrew Texts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joseph Crea <Joseph.Crea AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: shella <shella AT cswnet.com>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Debtor on Isa. 7:14 and the Hebrew Texts
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:14:58 -0500

At 10:12 AM 10/27/99 -0700, shella wrote:

--snip--

>SHELLA
>10. What I seem to see developing is there is no known Hebrew text of Isaiah
>which does support the virgin birth of the Messiah founded upon Isaiah
>7:14. The M T Isaiah 7:14 supports the YOUNG WOMAN concept, but not the
>Virgin only concept as the LXX and later the Greek New Testament does.

CREA
Unfortunately for your argument, the use of "parthenos" in the LXX is
not restricted to any such denotative concept as "Virgin only". See for
example Gen. 34:3, where Dinah is referred to as both "parthenon" and
"parthenou" AFTER Shechem had raped the poor lass.

>SHELLA
>11. Matthew, the New Testament witness, does not quote from the old LXX nor
>from the Hebrew which we now have followed by the MT, but seems to quote an
>unknown Hebrew Text. Yet he does agree with the older LXX in that he uses
>the term for Virgin, not young woman.

CREA
Where on earth did you come up with this tidbit of misinformation? Let
me suggest that you go back and re-read your copy of Matthew, particularly
Matt. 13:14-15 which just happens to contain a VERBATIM quotation from the
LXX of Isaiah 6:9-10 --

<AkoE(i) akousete kai ou mE sunEte,
kai blepontes blepsete kai ou mE idEte.
epachunthE gar HE kardia tou laou toutou,
kai tois Osin bareOs Ekousan
kai tous ophthalmous autOn ekammusan,
mEpote idOsin tois ophthalmois
kai tois Osin akousOsin
kai tE(i) kardia(i) sunOsin kai epistrepsOsin
kai iasomai autous.>

Ditto for Matt. 21:16 and the LXX of Psalms 8:3 --

<ek stomatos nEpiOn kai thElazontOn katErtisO ainon>

With Mettaa,

Joseph Crea
<Joseph.Crea AT worldnet.att.net>